Why is D unpopular?

claptrap clap at trap.com
Mon May 2 01:43:03 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 16:56:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 16:31:20 UTC, claptrap wrote:
>> and real time as far as I remember. Im not even sure phase
>> vocoders would have been feasible on dsp hardware in those
>> days.
>
> It was possible. The original papers on phase vocoders discuss
> real time.

I said it likely wasn't "feasible" not that it was impossible.
Even the high end digital effects units in the mid 90s only
managed a handful of basic effects at the same time, and they
usually did that by using multiple chips, with different chips
handling different blocks in the chain. A phase vocoder would
have been pretty hard to pull off on that kind of hardware even
if it was possible to a level of quality that was useful. I mean
it's basically fft-->processing-->ifft, which is an order of
magnitude or two more than the 20 or 30 cycles/sample you need to
implement a reasonable quality chorus, phaser or eq, etc... Which
is likely why AutoTune appeared first as a DAW plugin.