Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 2 08:52:06 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 01:43:03 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> I said it likely wasn't "feasible" not that it was impossible.
> Even the high end digital effects units in the mid 90s only
> managed a handful of basic effects at the same time, and they
> usually did that by using multiple chips, with different chips
> handling different blocks in the chain. A phase vocoder would
> have been pretty hard to pull off on that kind of hardware even
> if it was possible to a level of quality that was useful.

Technically even the Motorola 56000 can do over 500 FFTs per
second with a window size of 1024 according to Wikipedia. So the
phase vocoder part was feasible, but it might not have been
sonically feasible in the sense that you would not end up with a
product believed to be marketable or that it wasn't believed to
be feasible to reach a sonic quality that would satisfy the
market. That could come down to pitch-tracking, phase-vocoder
issues or the details of putting it all together.

Phase vocoders do introduce artifacts in the sound, it kinda
follows from the uncertainty principle, you get to choose between
high resolution in time or high resolution in frequency, but not
both. So when you modify the sound of chunks of sound only in the
frequency domain (with no concern for time) and then glue those
chunks back together you will get something that has changed not
only in pitch (in the general case). So it takes a fair amount of
cleverness and time consuming fiddling to "suppress" those "time
domain artifacts" in such a way that we don't find it disturbing.
(But as I said, by the late 90s, such artifacts was becoming the
norm in commercial music. House music pushed the sound of popular
music in a that direction throughout the 90s.)

However, the concept of decomposing sound into spectral
components in order to modify or improve on the resulting sound
has been an active field ever since ordinary computers were able
to run FFT in reasonable time. So there is no reason to claim
that someone suddenly woke up with this obvious idea that nobody
had thought about before. It comes down to executing and hitting
a wave (being adopted).

In general truly original innovators rarely succeed in producing
a marketable product, market success usually happens by someone
else with the right knowledge taking ideas that exists, refining
them, making them less costly to produce, using good marketing at
the right time (+ a stroke of luck, like being picked up by
someone that gives it traction).

"Somone woke up with an obvious idea that nobody had thought
about before" makes for good journalistic entertainment, but is
usually not true. Successful products tend to come in the wake of
"not quite there efforts". You very rarely find examples of the
opposite. (The exception might be in chemistry where people
stumble upon a substance with interesting properties.)