Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:40:29 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 10:01:00 UTC, mee6 wrote:
> That's one reason, another reason is no long term support. If
> you want to maintain source code in D of any large project, you
> are going to run into a compiler bug and that means having to
> become familiar with Dmd's source code which adds a lot of
> overhead.

Sure, I think that can be labeled as "inconsistencies", i.e. does
not work as intuitively expected. Of course, a language like C++
has many things that are not intuitive, but one cannot compete
with C++ by having the same critical flaw…

Adding more features also does not help on inconsistencies/bugs.
It is unlikely to address those issues that made people, who had
enough interest to build a library, leave. It creates enthusiasm
among those that are unlikely to leave (the regular enthusiasts
that demand the addition), but does not really change the
dynamics and makes structural changes even more expensive…

> I also worked on vibe.d for a little bit and it had the same
> issue. It couldn't keep up with all the different versions of
> D. It might make development for D easier but it comes at the
> cost of the user experience. It's really just many small
> problems like that that just start to add up.

I understand what you are saying, of course, other web frameworks
also have versioning issues, but smaller eco systems have to pay
even more attention to this than larger eco systems as the larger
ones provide workarounds through search engines: you'll quickly
find a workaround on Stack Overflow or a whole sale replacement
(offering the same API).

Basically, if you are small, you have to be *very focused*, to
offset the eco system disadvantages.

As a user it is very difficult to see where the overall focus and
strategy is. There might be one, but it isn't clear to
prospective users, I think.