Why is D unpopular?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:45:40 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 10:40:29 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> the eco system **disadvantages.**

I think that's a meme opinion on these forums.
https://github.com/p0nce/DIID

For example Go has a "great ecosystem" and the solution to those
problems are not simpler, and often longer:

Let's find the equivalent for the first 5 DIID in Golang:
- DIID 1 =>
https://tutorialedge.net/golang/parsing-xml-with-golang/
- DIID 2 => https://github.com/faiface/beep/wiki/Hello,-Beep!
- DIID 3 =>
https://golangexample.com/simple-markdown-to-html-converter-in-go/
- DIID 4 =>
https://github.com/skelterjohn/go.wde/blob/master/wdetest/wdetest.go
- DIID 5 => https://cloudoki.com/generating-pdfs-with-go/

OK, let's do the equivalent for Rust, is has a great ecosystem:
- DIID 1 => https://docs.rs/minidom/0.14.0/minidom/
- DIID 2 =>
https://github.com/RustAudio/rodio/blob/master/examples/basic.rs
- DIID 3 => https://github.com/johannhof/markdown.rs
- DIID 4 => https://github.com/sinclairzx81/black
- DIID 5 => https://lib.rs/crates/printpdf

Apart from Rust + DIID 3, all these tasks are longer to do than
in D.
But D has a "bad ecosystem".

It is unfair because I wrote the DIIDs to showcase D, but I think
the D ecosystem stands well the comparison.