Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:05:40 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 10:11:12 UTC, forkit wrote:
> the problem with forks, is finding competent compiler
> developers.. and there ain't that many of them.

Actually, there are quite lot of people who have enough compiler
knowledge from their CS degree to do something significant, so
that skill isn't as rare are one might think. Compiler design is
a course that many take. But the current codebase isn't really
attractive for that group. Maybe SDC is a better horse to bet on,
but I don't know much about the status or internals of SDC to
make a judgement.

> then you need a competent team to mangage the fork...and there
> ain't too many of them either...

That is a concern. Getting a loose group of people to focus on
one shared long term vision doesn't happen by chance.