Why is D unpopular?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu May 12 18:10:20 UTC 2022

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:43:56AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 5/12/2022 10:25 AM, max haughton wrote:
> > Preprocessor support takes more than just preprocessing the C source.
>
> I know.
>
> > You need to be able to use the macros or it's useless. That's the
> > main thing dstep is able to do.
>
> I understand that access to the manifest constant #define's is
> important.  But it's not useless to not have them. We're making
> progress on it.

It's not just manifest constants. There's also macro functions that
sometimes crop up in complex C headers. Those are hard to automatically
translate; some cases may need inline functions, some involve
token-pasting and may not be translatable without human intervention.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I understand. -- Benjamin Franklin