Why is D unpopular?

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu May 12 19:24:59 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 12 May 2022 at 18:10:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It's not just manifest constants. There's also macro functions
> that sometimes crop up in complex C headers. Those are hard to
> automatically translate; some cases may need inline functions,
> some involve token-pasting and may not be translatable without
> human intervention.

importC's advantage is that they don't have to be translated. If
you can mixin some C code, you can do the macro expansion there
and then merge the ASTs, without losing the hygeine of the D code.

If this gets implemented - and Max took a few steps toward it
recently - we might actually exceed dstep in some cases. (You'd
still have to express it in the right way but still)