Why is D unpopular?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri May 13 10:37:08 UTC 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 10:15:37 UTC, forkit wrote:

> Personally, I'm being turned off from using D, because of
> importC.
>
> And to 'try' to keep this thread back on topic, it's why D is
> becoming 'unpopular' with me.
>
> Please drop import-C.
>
> A C hack in D is pointless.
>
> Walter, please go and create C->M (C with Modules) instead.
>
> Then make it an international standard.
>
> Then I will give serious consideration to it.

Thank you and you are saying what I thought from the beginning
when I read about import C. Import C is an answer to a question
we never asked. Since we don't have a preprocessor and if it ever
will exist it will be crippled and unusable. Basically we have to
run a .h file through GCC/Clang in order to run the preprocessor,
then what is the point of import C if we have to use an external
tool to begin with. Then we can just use a stand alone tool to
convert C .h files to D which is likely to work much better as
well. Also external tools also opens up the possibility for C++
and other languages translation as well, something that will
never happen with import C.

Now we are several months into import C and Walther claimed it
was easy to implement from the beginning which is obviously not
true at all. If you look at the bug list, it is just riddled with
import C bugs and will be.

Just remove import C, it is pointless and rely on external
translation tools instead.