Why is D unpopular?

Daniel N no at public.email
Fri May 13 13:30:56 UTC 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 12:57:04 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 10:37:08 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> Now we are several months into import C
>
> Actually, it is over a year into it now.
>
>> Import C is an answer to a question we never asked.

For me ImportC is *the* killer feature. Currently at work we
simply change 1 file from *.c to *.cc fix a few compile-errors
and done, this is why C++ became what it is, if D had this from
day-1 then I think it would have been a huge success, I can only
hope dlang added this feature in time to still succeed, many
other languages are starting to catch up.

I have zero interest in adding custom build steps in exotic build
systems to generate bindings, nor is it possible to generate
static bindings because all other teams update their *.h files
daily and we need to be able to use the new features without
manual steps.

Now, if you argue that custom build steps is no big thing, then
why is CTFE so awesome? No custom build steps, that's why!