Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri May 13 18:26:53 UTC 2022

On 5/13/2022 5:45 AM, IGotD- wrote:
> Import C is obsoloete before it is ready (wich it will never be). The
> limitations of import C will force people to conversion tools and/or manual
> conversion. C .h files are in general full of "clever" preprocessor tricks that
> never will be supported by import C.

Preprocessor metaprogramming macros will never be directly available to D.
However, they work with ImportC, because the preprocessor runs on the ImportC
code to produce C.

htod, dstep, and dpp also will simply ignore metaprogramming macros.

> import C feels like one of those corporate blunders where the management throws
> in resources into something that will hardly sell while it was obvious from the
> very beginning it was a bad idea.

My whole career is based on doing things everyone tells me are stupid :-)