Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun May 15 08:12:46 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 07:43:02 UTC, forkit wrote:
> Most software (in fact) runs things that are critical to our
> everyday lives (both personally and

Well, let me put it this way, if the controller of my electric
chainsaw fails it wont hurt me, I’ll just use my backup solution.
If the breaks on a car fails my life is in jeopardy. If you can
recover then it isnt critical. Business software fails all the
time, the question is how fast you can recover. D and C++ will
never be great in terms of being able to quickly identify the
point of failure.

> A such, the focus really should be on creating safer
> programming languages, and enabling developers to write safer
> software, that is less prone to bugs and attacks.

Yes, but you make tradeoffs. ImportC makes tradeoffs.

When the decision had been made it should be brought to
completion.

The risk is not in importC, but in D programmers using it in an
incomplete state and it being left in an state that people depend
on so it cannot be removed if it turns out that completing it was
too tedious.