ImportC can now automatically run the preprocessor

Nick Treleaven nick at geany.org
Sun May 15 13:09:45 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 07:39:21 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> Yes, there is no process, but by now it has become clear that D
> evolves by people starting to use incomplete features and quite
> a few are «given up on» and left incomplete like with most
> hobby projects. This is what happens when you start
> implementation before you have a design ready.

Integrated C support with D has never been done before, and
Walter never claimed supporting all preprocessor macros would
work. ImportC was very useful even not long after it was first
merged. I'm surprised at some of the negativity from people here.

Features are not given up on unless they're deprecated. The
problem is manpower and getting through the dip process. The
waterfall software development method is well known. I think your
narrative is unfair and breeds negativity about D. The problems
can often be solved, and when they can't it's because it's a
problem with no known good solution or a trade off. But none of
that is relevant to ImportC, which has obvious merit yet requires
more work but clearly will pay its way.