ImportC can now automatically run the preprocessor

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 14:57:36 UTC 2022

On 5/14/22 18:00, forkit wrote:
 > On Saturday, 14 May 2022 at 21:05:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 >>
 >> It's been a longer and windy-er road than I'd anticipated, but isn't
 >> that the way all software projects work?
 >
 > Well...I'm not aware of any software projects where someone wakes up one
 > morning, with a thought bubble, and then decides to submit a PR, marked
 > as 'Trivial', that adds a C compiler insider an already existing
 > compiler for a different language.

I am fortunate to be a part of a community where such inventions pop up
from time to time.

 > https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12507/
 >
 > The long, windy road 'could' have been anticipated.

I did not read that threat but I can't see any comment by 'forkit'
there. Could you not make yourself clear there to find a shortcut for
the long, windy road? In any case I am missing your point. Are you
wishing anticipation for the future? Or do you think we should rip this
feature out completely? (I am asking those in the light of general
negative sentiments.)

 > I certainly anticipated it when I read that PR.

That sounds like "I told you so," which doesn't help. Surely, you don't
mean others did anticipate but still put "Trivial" anyway?

 > It'll be a long, windy road ahead to, for anyone having to maintain
 > projects that explicitly, actively, encourage you to combine different
 > languages.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope your attitude does not stop ideas for
future invention.

More on topic, I am one of those who thinks ImportC is amazing and will
be very useful. There is potential in it. The discovery of "modules for
C" is unbelievable to me. It came only because one inventor thought an
otherwise unrelated idea was worth pursuing.

Ali