Why is D unpopular?

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Mon May 16 02:22:07 UTC 2022

On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 02:05:32 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 23:32:33 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>>
>> An open source community allows (should allow?) individuals to
>> spend their energy on any topic that they want. Some will work
>> on ImportC, others (which apparently includes you) will work
>> on @safe.
>>
>> Ali
>
> My comments are in the context of this thread, about why D is
> unpopular.
>
> It's not about me wanting to stop people in an open-source
> community from spending their time on whatever they want.
>
> But I feel ImportC and @safe push D into two completely
> different directions.
>
> So D may become 'more' popular to those wanting to import more
> C into their D.
>
> And D may become 'less' popular because more people are
> importing C into their D.
>
> I'm struggling to see how two different directions get us to...
> well.. anywhere.

This assumes that both features apply to exactly the same subset
of all D programs, which they don't.

At Symmetry we have very large D codebases which could be easily
argued would benefit from both ImportC and @safe given optimal
implementations of them both.

Most D code does not directly interface with C, but a lot of D
*projects* do, hence ImportC.

Most D projects also benefit from being able to rely on the
safety of a given chunk of D code.