ImportC can now automatically run the preprocessor

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Mon May 16 03:00:07 UTC 2022

On 16/05/2022 2:53 PM, forkit wrote:
> On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 02:17:50 UTC, max haughton wrote:
>> C is a bad programming language but equally it's the lingua franca of
>> almost everything useful so it's not really up to us.
>
> It's the 'lingua franca' because everyone treats it as such ;-)
>
> It's also a frankish language that has contributed to more invalid
> memory accesses, invalid type casts, memory leaks, data races,
> deadlocks, etc... than any other language, ever to exist.
>
> But hey, whatever,... , let's just import more of it
>
> :-(

Max is correct. It doesn't matter what we want. It is the language that
other languages communicate through primarily.

If you want to do anything on Windows you must work with C and COM. So
we must support both of them as best as we can. You can't realistically
talk to the kernel to replicate this behavior.

If we want D running on proprietary systems that have license
restrictions with distribution, we must have a way to create bindings to
the C system headers (this is an issue for GDC).