Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 17 02:43:31 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 01:57:44 UTC, forkit wrote:
> Only then will we have sufficient impetus to get off our butts
> and do something about our extensive reliance on what is
> arguably, the most unsafe language of all -> C.

Actually, C is one of the few languages in use where there are
industtial verification solutions...

Anyway, D has always followed C semantics and has always been
system level. It never claimed not to be.

People who care a lot about correctness now use Rust, compilers
for such languages are implemented in Rust. In that narrow space
Rust cannot be displaced in the next 10 years.

Yet, Skia, Z3, LLVM and  other big performance libraries will
remain in C in the next 10 years. Nobody wants to rewrite those
in other languages. Nobody can afford to build competitive free
alternatives. So, C it is!

ImportC done well allows D to benefit from the selfimposed
restriction of being C-like that has been there from day 1.

The only way to do it well is to do an integration that drills
down to the level of the lexer, parser and AST.