Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 17 07:01:32 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 06:26:23 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> Walter is very much hyped about ImportC. But his solution needs
> to be objectively compared to the other existing solutions,
> rather than pretending that it's a unique groundbreaking
> innovation which will finally make D language popular.

I actually think D can become a disruptor if this is done
properly and the other loose ends of the language is plugged. So
being hyped up is warranted in my opinion, even if the road ahead
is a long one.

Especially if he successfully has been able to express all C11
constructs in the AST, because then you have something to work
with and can gradually improve on embedding macro expansion in D
code.

I just pray that the D community avoid heuristic pattern matching
hacks. mixinC is ok for the most hardcore users, so you can have
that, but you need something with better usability for this to be
a success.

If it is significantly harder to use than C-macros in C people
will just ask themselves why they don't use C/C++ etc.