Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue May 17 15:46:09 UTC 2022

On 5/16/2022 11:26 PM, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> Walter is very much hyped about ImportC. But his solution needs to be
> objectively compared to the other existing solutions, rather than pretending
> that it's a unique groundbreaking innovation which will finally make D language
> popular.

It's conceptually equivalent to C++ being able to #include C files. I was in the
business when C++ came out, and am pretty certain this was crucial to C++'s
early adoption success. ImportC cannot be as as good as that (preprocessor
issues), but it's closer than any of the other solutions I've seen.

For another language doing the same thing, see Kotlin, which can seamlessly
interact with Java, and this has been crucial to Kotlin's adoption.

How is ImportC unique? No other solution I've seen is as simple as:

     import mycfile;

These things matter.

Feel free to compare ImportC with other existing solutions, and post your results!

Note that ImportC can inline C functions, and ImportC code can import D code and
access D constructs. Who else does that? (Not even C++! Maybe Kotlin can.)