Why is D unpopular?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue May 17 16:54:31 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 15:46:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/16/2022 11:26 PM, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
>> Walter is very much hyped about ImportC. But his solution
>> needs to be objectively compared to the other existing
>> solutions, rather than pretending that it's a unique
>> groundbreaking innovation which will finally make D language
>> popular.
>
> It's conceptually equivalent to C++ being able to #include C
> files. I was in the business when C++ came out, and am pretty
> certain this was crucial to C++'s early adoption success.
> ImportC cannot be as as good as that (preprocessor issues), but
> it's closer than any of the other solutions I've seen.
>
> For another language doing the same thing, see Kotlin, which
> can seamlessly interact with Java, and this has been crucial to
> Kotlin's adoption.

Not really, as the numbers show

https://www.infoq.com/news/2022/03/jrebel-report-2022/

What was crucial for Kotlin's adoption was Google's decision to
push Kotlin ("my way or the highway") for anything new on Android
frameworks, while stagnating Java support on purpose.

Those lucky ones with Android 12 devices might get an update for
OpenJDK 11 LTS support, Java subset, but several of new Jetpack
frameworks are only accessible via Kotlin.