Why is D unpopular?

Dave Blanchard none at nowhere.com
Tue May 17 18:19:01 UTC 2022

Why is D unpopular? Well let's see.

Several months ago I posted on here regarding the totally screwed
up and incomprehensibly broken process you use for
building/installing D. I didn't bother to waste time checking
back on that thread to see any replies. I simply waited, to see
if my concerns were addressed. They were not.

D's approach to gaining new users:

* Put a broken pile of shit up on the download page, with no
usable instructions on what to actually do with it.

* ...

* Surprisingly, the prospective user can't do a fucking thing
with it, of course, because there are NO INSTRUCTIONS.

The very brief instructions in the README file are worthless.
They don't work.

The slightly more detailed instructions I find by searching on
the internet are worthless. They don't work.

When searching, I find the Digital Mars web site apparently
hasn't been updated since 2003.

How the fuck am I supposed to use D if I can't even get the damn
thing installed and working, because there are NO USABLE
INSTRUCTIONS, AT ALL?

Furthermore, I am NOT impressed by any install process that
insists on automatically downloading junk from the internet. Also
had a laugh about the "install script" offered on the download
page, which one is supposed to pipe straight into bash. Yeah, if
I were missing half my brain, I would do something like that.

Look, this is so simple even a child could do it:

Give me ONE ARCHIVE FILE which contains EVERYTHING needed to
build and install DMD. And then put a script IN THE ROOT
DIRECTORY of that archive which builds the compiler using what it
has on hand--with no hassle, no bullshit, or stupid fucking
errors.

Alternately, have two archives for download: one containing
binaries only, which is easily unzipped into /usr (or with a
basic script/Makefile to do the install), and one containing the
complete source code, which can be easily bootstrapped by said
binary package.

The README file, it should go without saying, should contain
full, complete, clear instructions on how to do anything related
to building and installing the compiler.

Until you pull your heads out of your asses and make the damn
compiler actually accessible to anyone who isn't already an
expert on bootstrapping this overcomplicated piece of shit, then
sadly, I have no use at all for D. I'll bet there's many others
in the same boat also.

By the way, I built my own entire Linux distro from scratch, with
over a thousand packages that cross compile to glibc/musl,
openssl/libressl, and x86_64/i686/arm32/arm64, so if I can't
figure out how to successfully bootstrap DMD, then YOU HAVE A
PROBLEM.

ADDENDUM: The CAPTCHA questions on this posting form are TOTALLY
INSANE AND RIDICULOUS. I guess that you could be D's tagline:
"TOTALLY INSANE AND RIDICULOUS."