Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed May 18 18:57:13 UTC 2022

On 5/18/2022 1:56 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> This is what D lacks, the killer use case, ImportC on its own will hardly change
> the current adoption state.

Even if it doesn't, it will make things much easier for current D users.

For example, look at the dmd source code itself. We maintain, by hand, a set of
equivalent .h for them. A cumulatively enormous amount of time has been expended
on that, and finding/fixing the bugs from when they get out of sync.

(ImportC doesn't directly address that, because it's C++ not C, but it's still
illustrative. I have also considered adding "C with Classes" support in ImportC
as dmd's C++ interface is "C with Classes".)