Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu May 19 07:24:07 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 08:56:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> This is what D lacks, the killer use case, ImportC on its own
> will hardly change the current adoption state.

Adoption does not seem to be the main issue, retention appears to
be the main issue.

So first: tie up the loose ends, plug the potholes, get a
coherent memory management story, put some makeup on the syntax,
project a clear vision, keep the forums active with buzz and
emotion (so it does not look like a dead language that nobody
cares about), make sure the help forum is more visible and
accessible and keep it friendly. Then worry about adoption.

As you can see with Rust, a strong narrow semantic vision can
create enough gravity to attract enough similar users and then it
will gain traction in some niche(s). The "killer app" follows
from that. So, vision first, the "killer use case" follows from
the vision (after 10 years of people gravitating towards you and
you being able to retain those users)…

Being an upgrade path from C (and other Cish languages) for
people looking for something higher level, is a viable vision.
But then upgrading from C to D must be comparable to upgrading
from C to C++/Vala/etc… So you need near perfect macro expansion,
basically a more advanced approach to parsing.

Linux and the Vala use case would be an obvious target, with gdc
now being in the GNU suite etc.

Is it likely to happen? Probably not. Is it viable. I think so.
What is required? Focus!