Why is D unpopular, redux.

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 21 21:24:33 UTC 2022

On 5/21/2022 1:30 PM, mee6 wrote:
> Do you have hard numbers on that? IIRC there's only been one survey done for the
> community and almost all the most desired features from it aren't implemented.

No, I don't have hard numbers. There's always selection bias in self-reporting
of desired features. I admit to using judgement to decide what to do.

For example, many years ago, only one person asked for User Defined Attributes
(Manu). He made a compelling case for it. I implemented it. The result was a lot
of pushback from the community.

But it has turned out to be a very well liked and used feature.

Of course, things don't always work out so well. D has some features I wish we'd
never done.

ImportC is another one that has been met with a lot of skepticism. I have faith
in it, and we'll see if I'm right or wrong about it.