Why is D unpopular, redux.

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat May 21 21:41:13 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 21 May 2022 at 21:24:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I implemented it. The result was a lot of pushback from the
> community.

You implemented *some* of it.

The part I specifically wanted wasn't released until September
2018

https://dlang.org/changelog/2.082.0.html#uda-function-parameters

I don't recall when the basic UDAs were added and I can't find it
searching the changelog right now, but if memory serves, it was
about 2013 (which is late enough that I already had other
alternatives to them implemented in my web server library), but
there was a gap of *several years* between your initial
implementation and it actually covering all the bases to make it
compelling.

This is a good example of the overall point: so many things are
announced with much fanfare as soon as they do the bare minimum
of functionality....... then it sits at bare minimum for an
unspecified amount of time before it reaches the point where it
is actually useful, if it ever reaches that point.