Why is D unpopular, redux.

mee6 mee6 at lookat.me
Tue May 24 13:28:33 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 11:38:55 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> Ask people why they don't fix bugs. Ask *yourself* why you
> don't fix bugs.

I don't get paid to. It's also an awful developer experience.
There's no readme that explains how to build it, it's better now
with the build.d script but until recently you just had to wing
it. Still do for phobos and druntime. Also a lot of the time pull
requests just stay open, for various reasons including requesting
Walters approval which he'll never look at.

It takes a lot of time to get up to speed to fix bugs in DMD. I
don't know if the people in the d foundation are getting paid but
I assume they are. If you want more people in the community to
fix bugs, you have.to pay them. It takes skill to do that.
Otherwise people want to work on their own projects and not spend
hours fixing a bug they hit in a tool they are using for their
project, then to only have your pull request closed cause it got
stale waiting for someone to look at it.