Why is D unpopular, redux.

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed May 25 00:34:32 UTC 2022

On 25.05.22 02:23, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/24/2022 4:47 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> The issue is: sometimes there are pull requests that _don't actually
>> fix the issue they purport to fix_. Why should that cause a changelog
>> entry that claims the bug was fixed?
>
> If the supplied example works correctly, the bug is closed.

That encourages pseudo-fixes that focus on special cases.

> Is it really too much to ask for:
>
> 1. people to submit bug reports to bugzilla, not the n.g.?

I do submit bug reports to bugzilla.

> 2. provide an example of the bug?

Well, sometimes the person who finds the bug is not great at making
examples, then others provide better ones on the same bug report.

> Making me debug the provided example and/or guess what the submitter
> actually intended is too much to ask. (Often the subject line is
> completely wrong, too, and I often fix them.)
>
> I've been cutting and pasting your n.g. bug reports to bugzilla. This
> really does not scale.

All of the bug reports were already in bugzilla, though maybe my
examples on the NG made the issues easier to understand.

I can get more proactive in filing enhancement requests again.