Why is D unpopular?

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:17:06 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 13:34:35 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
wrote:
> We should not have release switch as it is now due to those
> security holes mentioned.

That's merely the Adam's claim. He is trying to very aggressively
"save" me from some non-existing problems without realizing that
I'm just not using D language in the same way as he does. He is
too busy being engaged in some sort of shadowboxing against
himself and is not paying attention to my explanations.

To sum it up. The '-release' switch doesn't disable bounds
checking in @safe parts of the code. So we are fine as long as
the majority of code in a project is marked as @safe. Rather than
removing or changing the '-release' switch, I think that a much
better idea is to migrate more code and libraries to @safe and my
understanding is that D language is moving in that direction.
Maybe Walter can confirm or deny this?

Regarding the name of this topic. If the '-release' switch
removal idea gains traction, it will be a strong reason for me to
quit. Performance parity with C++ without unreasonable extra
efforts is very high on my priority list. If extra efforts are
unavoidable and D loses its rapid development appeal, then
there's always Rust as a more mainstream alternative.