Why is D unpopular?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed May 25 19:37:19 UTC 2022

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 07:25:43PM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 16:17:06 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
[...]
> > Regarding the name of this topic. If the '-release' switch removal
> > idea gains traction, it will be a strong reason for me to quit.
>
> lol you can still use -boundscheck=safeonly -check=none to get the
> same result. -release is just a shorthand for those.
>
> (of course, if you want maximum performance, you want to use gdc -O
> instead of any of this other stuff)

FWIW, after the first year or so of using D, I stopped using -release.
These days, I just use `ldc2 -O2` which gives me better performance than
any silly bounds-check-removing nonsense like -release.  We're not
living in the 70's anymore; the few nanoseconds you save by skipping a
lousy bounds check is just not worth the nightmare of a buffer overflow
exploit on a customer production environment.

Be in denial for long enough, and one day you'll deny yourself of things you wish you hadn't.