DMD 2.100, bring ont he attribute soup

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Fri May 27 01:30:09 UTC 2022

On 27/05/2022 12:34 PM, Paul Backus wrote:
> Is it any wonder that a lot of D programmers look at the two lists above
> and conclude, "this newfangled DIP 1000 stuff just ain't worth it"?

That is because its not worth it.

I've got a whole lot of new code, with dip1000 turned on.

It has caught exactly zero bugs.

On the other hand it has required me to annotate scope methods as
@trusted just because I returned a RC type that is allocated on the heap.

To be blunt, even though I have it on, the entire dip1000 needs to be
chucked out and a new design considered.

What I do know that must be meet for any future designs:

- In non-virtual functions no annotations should be required to be written.
- Inference is key to success.
- The lifetime of memory must be able to be in relation to a data
structure that owns that memory.