Why is D unpopular?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon May 30 12:38:31 UTC 2022

On Monday, 30 May 2022 at 11:28:54 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> Yes, I started to look at D 15 years ago because I wanted
> something simpler and more productive than C++.
>
> D is quite close all it needs is:
>
> - smart, non-intrusive memory management that is non-blocking
> - some makeup on syntax
> - complete some features (like alias)
>
> How that is done is less important as long as it is simple and
> clean. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence,
> and all that…

All D needs is an automated way of blocking and censoring forum
threads that talk about D's shortcomings. I wonder why these
threads are often so "active". Then again, when it comes to very
active threads, how will the software be able to distinguish
between a thread that is "too active" because of users giving out
about or defending D and a very active thread about some DIP that
wants to introduce feature X from language Y, a thread that will
"drain the energy of the D community" (Ali) and will most likely
amount to nothing, except perhaps that some code will break with
the next iteration of DMD, because, you know, this is needed to
pave the way for the DIP to become reality in 5-10 years - if a
champion can be found, that is.