Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:27:17 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 06:54:17 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> C# is not a prime example, Mono/Xamarin, .NET Native, Native
> AOT, Meadow, CosmOS, Unity IL2CPP/Burst DOTS,....

I am not against multiple compilers.
I am not against multiple compilers.
I am not against multiple compilers.
I am not against multiple compilers.
I am not against multiple compilers.

Is everyone clear now?

Once more, just in case:
I am not against multiple compilers.

btw. What percentage of C# developers have had to use all those
compilers ??

Also, you're argument is incomplete. To what extent do all those
compilers you mentioned (the C# ones in particular), provide
'implementation defined' behaviours for precisely the same code?
(That's a question not a statement).

> No it isn't a C problem, rather quite common in the industry
> for mature languages.

Are you saying having different compilers is not a problem? If so
I agree (as I've made clear many times now).

If on the otherhand, you're saying that 'implementation defined'
behaviour for precisely the same code, is not a problem, then I
DO NOT agree.

It IS a problem - that has to be explicately managed by the
developer (I'm referring specifically to C/C++ here of course, as
I regularly have to switch compilers).

I do not know to what extent this might be a problem with the D
programming language. I just posed the question. That's all.

I guess it depends on the completeness of the specification of
the language.