Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:45:15 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 08:27:17 UTC, forkit wrote:
> It IS a problem - that has to be explicately managed by the
> developer (I'm referring specifically to C/C++ here of course,
> as I regularly have to switch compilers).

The main problem, I guess, is that most codebases don't stick to
the standard, but use extensions.

If you stay within the standard you can just check the feature
matrix:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support/20

And test new features using the provided feature testing macros:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/feature_test

Most of the time the docs provide a reference implementation that
can be used if a library feature is missing.

A reasonable solution, IMO.