Why is D unpopular?

yl yilabscom at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:42:49 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 02:47:21 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 02:07:53AM +0000, forkit via
>> With a single compiler, implementation defined behaviours,
>> which would of course exist, are contained to the 'one'
>> compiler, which has obvious benefits for developers, and their
>> customers (and C# is a prime example), as well as the compiler
>> developers and the language designers.
>
> The disadvantage is that the code will rely on said
> implementation-defined behaviours, resulting in vendor lock-in.

Apart from that, one can use multiple compilers to check if
his/her code are standard compliant. Sometimes, I can find
problems/bugs in my code that way, since different compilers
provide different error / warning messages (esp. C++). If my code
can pass all the compilers without warnings, my code is more
likely to be robust.