Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 31 10:20:00 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 09:19:46 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Unless you happened to have been like myself, working for a
> Microsoft certified partner with access to pre-release builds
> of .NET 1.0, those MSDN CDs with red documentation, I doubt the
> 22 years, but who's couting just a couple of months until
> October 2023.

Yes, indeed, the company I worked for back then were an MCP, and
they (the company) provided me with an *full* MSDN subscription
(which was very expensive back then). This is precisely why I got
on board with C# (or specifically, .NET) so early. I was already
developing when it was in beta (and still use it today).

Before that, it was... grr... grrr.. grrrrrr.... C!

> Multiple implementations allow for validation that the
> compilers actually work as per language standard, and do not
> have tainted behaviours.

That is a valid (but different) argument.

The more a language design leaves open the option for
'implementation defined' behaviour, the more it falls onto
developers to mangage this - this is why I don't like
'implementation defined' behaviour.