Why is D unpopular?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue May 31 09:19:46 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 08:45:31 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 08:27:17 UTC, forkit wrote:
>>

> Also, I've used C# for 22 years now.
>
> The primary reason I like using it, is because I only ever have
> to work with one compiler. I'm not against multiple compilers,
> as I've already stated. But I like the assurance of only ever
> needing to use one compiler (particulary in a business
> environment where business like expectations exist around
> support, maintenance etc).
>
> Now if I'm the only one in the world who feels that way, I'd be
> suprised.
>
> When I see a language the explicately sprouts how many
> compilers it has, I get a little concerned, due to my
> experience with C.
>
> Just 'the perception' (the reality might be different) that I
> might have to deal with 'implementation defined' behaviour in
> D's various compilers, is enough to trigger PTSD.

Unless you happened to have been like myself, working for a
Microsoft certified partner with access to pre-release builds of
.NET 1.0, those MSDN CDs with red documentation, I doubt the 22
years, but who's couting just a couple of months until October
2023.

https://news.microsoft.com/2001/10/22/massive-industry-and-developer-support-for-microsoft-net-on-display-at-professional-developers-conference-2001

Multiple implementations allow for validation that the compilers
actually work as per language standard, and do not have tainted
behaviours.

And to come back to the previous post, while staying only in C#,
not even considering MSIL difference between languages targeting
.NET, the way AOT compilers have worked across the ecosystem it
means that not all of them can fully compile the whole language,
for example.

Thus you cannot just pick a random NuGET package drop it into a
Xamarin build and hop you go into the next iOS app, if it happens
to use reflection, or generics in a way that Mono AOT cannot
handle it.

Also people that have learned C# via Unity, quickly learn that
some of their quirks like reflection based access to magic
MonoBehaviours, isn't something that will find out in Microsoft
runtimes.

Moving Unity to .NET Core, while being able to target all their
hardware is going to be a multi-year project.

https://blog.unity.com/technology/unity-and-net-whats-next