Why is D unpopular?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue May 31 11:52:06 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 10:27:11 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 08:48:54 UTC, bauss wrote:
>>

>> C# doesn't have a single compiler, that was especially true
>> before dotnet core, where you absolutely had to use other
>> compilers if you wanted to write code for any other platforms
>> than Windows.
>
> In the world I live in (which maybe different to yours), there
> is only one compiler for C# ;-)
>
> I'd argue the same is true for the majority of C# developers
> (not every single one, but a majority) - since the majority
> would have been developing on Windows anyway.
>
> When I goto the D download page, I have to immediately make a
> choice from one of three compilers, even for the same platform.

Those developing for Windows, that happen to also target UWP
workloads, won't be able to use the same C# and .NET libraries
without some caveats.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/dotnet-native/net-native-and-compilation

And it remains to be seen what constraints Native AOT will bring
to the table in .NET 7 versus .NET Native.