Is D really that bad?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:18:07 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 1 November 2022 at 13:38:13 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> If you (or anyone else) would like to propose improvements to
> D's process, you can email Mike Parker and request an
> opportunity to discuss them at one of the D foundation's
> monthly meetings.

It will have to be someone else (my spare time is currently
exhausted).

It is really a matter of putting work into crafting a well
thought out document that covers everything Walter would like to
see happening. As long as one person has de facto veto power that
is how it has to be, and it takes more work than a few hours.

Walter has stated quite clearly that he cares more about existing
users than the users that D isn't capturing. People who use the
language regularly have much less incentive to see changes as
they already feel D is the best option. It is quite challenging
to come up with a solution that would be market-oriented and also
don't cause any friction with existing users.

I don't even know if Walter would have any interest in such a
process.

> You may also wish to join forces with Mathias Lang, the author
> of the governance proposal discussed by the D foundation last
> year. [1]

I am not really sure if D is ready for a process like Python.