Does D have any political goals?

kyle kyle at kyle.kyle
Mon Nov 7 23:28:43 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 22:00:48 UTC, thebluepandabear
wrote:
> On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 19:22:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> While many of us have strong political opinions, we consider
>> politics to be off-topic and not welcome in the D forums.
>>
>> Just bring professional demeanor, check any non-D agendas at
>> the door, and you're welcome here!
>
> Thanks for answering, fantastic work with the D language as
> well (you are a legend).
>
> I was mostly asking in terms of whether or not the D foundation
> itself will talk about any political statements or has any
> political goals outside of D. Most of the political talk in
> Rust wasn't really on the forums (because that's common sense)
> but more in the community, Twitter page, version release notes,
> community, et cetera.

I've been lurking around here since ~2014 and I don't recall
seeing any of that. Without a big corporate driver behind it D
development is largely community-driven and I'm under the
impression that the community is ideologically diverse enough
that a substantial portion of us would get angry if the
foundation used D to push a particular narrative or cause.

I stay away from Twitter and Reddit though so I wouldn't know
what's going on there. Political discussion may occasionally
happen during online BeerConfs but that's a different deal.