Does D have any political goals?

thebluepandabear therealbluepandabear at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:30:09 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 22:20:40 UTC, thebluepandabear
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 21:58:36 UTC, Filip wrote:
>> On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 05:30:20 UTC, thebluepandabear
>> wrote:
>>> After that, I began to learn about all of the social
>>> justice/political statements that Rust was putting out over
>>> the last couple of years in regards to topics unrelated to
>>> programming, this made me feel very uncomfortable -- not
>>> necessarily because I disagreed with what they were saying
>>> (in fact I agreed with most statements), but mostly because I
>>> felt like  politics shouldn't be involved in a programming
>>> language.
>>
>> I'm surprised to learn that rust isn't apolitical, I made an
>> account to say this haha
>
> Hey,
>
> I wouldn't go as far as saying that Rust is political, as in
> encourages users to donate to a certain party/candidate, they
> are just heavily invested in social issues outside of
> programming. Some of these social issues I agree with, whilst
> others I do not.
>
> What I am trying to say is that many of these issues people do
> not think the same, so it can create arguments in the community.
>
> E.g.:
> https://github.com/rust-lang/blog.rust-lang.org/issues/613;
> https://users.rust-lang.org/t/rust-says-tech-will-always-be-political/43627?page=3

As a sidenote, I believe that social issues are outside the scope
of a programming language. People ought to understand that there
is a time and a place. Posting about social justice issues in a
programming community is just inappropriate in my opinion,
especially when it comes to topics in which only one side of the
political spectrum supports.