[OT] NSA guidance on software security

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:07:02 UTC 2022

On Friday, 11 November 2022 at 09:32:23 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> On Friday, 11 November 2022 at 08:52:46 UTC, Sergey wrote:
>> I think it could satisfy the broad definition of MSL:
>
> Yes, NSA could list D language provisionally. But there are
> still many unresolved memory safety issues in D ecosystem in
> practice. Many dub packages and even Phobos are not compatible
> with @safe yet. A very simple example:
>
> ```D
> @safe:
> import std.stdio;
> void main() { readln; }
> ```
>
> ```
> $ dmd test.d
> test.d(3): Error: `@safe` function `D main` cannot call
> `@system` function `std.stdio.readln!string.readln`
> /usr/lib/dmd/2.099/import/std/stdio.d(4566):
> `std.stdio.readln!string.readln` is declared here
> ```
>
> Without actual @safe annotations already in place, a lot of the
> existing D code is not really safe. It's surely safer than
> C/C++, but this not good enough to convince those who are in
> charge of making programming language choice decisions in
> companies.
>
> Just imagine that somebody is responsible for buying, let's
> say, parachutes to replace their existing notoriously
> unreliable brand. Given a choice between cheaper/convenient
> (similar to D) and more reliable (similar to Rust) parachute
> types, what will this person decide to buy for his team? Keep
> in mind that any future fatal accidents will be surely blamed
> on this person in the case if he decides in favor of a cheaper
> option...
>
> TL;DR; You can't really sell a half baked safety nowadays.

I have been involved in high safety applications where human life
is at risk.
We use C and C++.

The language is not what determines it, it is the tools,
processes and organization.

I have done this for over 10 years, developing safety critical
software and also as a control systems engineer. Both industrial
and mobile applications.

The language is not what is important. It is everything
surrounding it.

Have you been involved in any high SIL or PL development? I have,
also for railway.

I know what it takes to make something. Also proven in use is
important.