Does D have any political goals?

Karmello Karmello.Kyzer at BasicMail.host
Wed Nov 16 17:52:41 UTC 2022

On Monday, 14 November 2022 at 22:35:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/14/2022 12:01 PM, Karmello wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Language - D has been moving forward pretty fast. For example,
> the dip1000 initiative has made great progress, and the ImportC
> initiative is a big step forward in usability. D now has a
> prototype borrow checker - the same thing Rust has. Memory
> safety is the future of D.
>
> D hasn't moved as fast with concurrency, but Sebastiaan Koppe
> has pointed the way with structured concurrency, which he's
> already implemented:
>
> https://dconf.org/2022/#sebastiaank
>
> I'd like to get his work into Phobos. I like it a lot better
> than async/await.
>
> People talk about sumtypes and pattern matching, which are good
> features, but not game changers.
>
> People also talk a lot about not adding new features for D, as
> it already has plenty :-)
>

> IDE - I am not remotely opposed to IDEs. Rainer Schuetze has
> integrated D with Visual Studio. I'm sure he would welcome help
> from anyone who wants to improve it. I'm all for it. As to why
> I don't do that myself, I'm a poor person to do it as IDEs (as
> you mentioned) are not my personal style.

I'm not denying that D has done a lot. I am talking about the
ecosystem that surrounds D that will give it life to grow far
past your existence.

The problem is quite simple though:  exp(at).

If a > 1 then it grows, if a < 1 then it dies. a will encode the
entire D evolution.

a < 1 for D, it will D. a actually depends on time so maybe
something will happen in the future but a is not large enough to
sustain the organism too distance in the future. Just like how
99.99% of all things in the past have died out, D will be one. It
doesn't have to be but your approach is a sort of "let's plant it
and see what happens" rather than "Let's do everything we
possibly can to make sure it grows in to the best thing possible".

I use Visual D all the time... it's the only reason I use D at
all. It's a bare minimum IDE. What happens when Rainer goes? Then
what?

I'm looking 10-20-30 years in the future, you are looking at next
month. That is, I look at D more from a "visionary" perspective
and you look at D more as a "maintainer"'s perspective. Neither
one is good. "It takes a village". Both approaches are bad in
isolation. The problem is that D does not have a proper
organization structure around it that drives it forward so that
it can withstand the downswings. It's almost in a constant
holding pattern with little forward drive. This is better than a
nose dive in to oblivion but it means that it will have to land
relatively soon.

I like D, I wanted to see it be a major competitor. Most of the
work is done on the language. While the language isn't perfect,
it's type system is probably one of the best simply due to it's
power(it's not necessarily the best design but it is almost
complete and integrated well in to the underlying language).

For me, tooling is everything. I want my time programming to be
enjoyable and efficient. I do a lot of stuff so I hate wasting
time. The way I see it is that you have an old school conception
of how things work and should be done and that's that. D will
never get past that unless someone comes along and wants to
revamp D to modernize it. The amount of work required to do so is
so much that the person will likely just want to write their own
language, compiler, etc. Then the question is why go through all
that trouble when there are already good languages out there that
have a lot going for them?

What would be great is if you could get MS to take up D and
create a D.net(or you guys could do it since it would just be
compiling to IR). This way D could be integrated in to all things
.NET. I hate .NET because of it's IR but other than that it's
probably the best out there by far. I still wish programming was
an order of magnitude better but it is what it is and I'll die
before it changes to something I'd like to see(such as AI helpers
for code generation, code maps that allow for visual programming
in an integrated way sorta like, say, altium designer for
code(but not like the hacky visual programmers), better
organization for complex designs, etc).