Compiling D files on Windows

Larry Hemsley lawrence.hemsley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 22:02:41 UTC 2022

It has been a long time since I have tried to compile D files
or build a D project on Windows. I was surprised since I asked
for verbose output to see that the Windows native linker was
called. I was also surprised to see the pdb file in the project
folder.

The problem is that the IDE I was using (Zeus) uses gdb to debug
files and the debugger issued a warning that there were no debug
symbols in the executable file. Obviously, because gdb expects
code view style debug symbols to be embedded in the executable.

If any one knows of a magic switch (undocumented or documented)
that reverts to the older code view style, I would be very
thankful to know it. I do know that cl.exe does have a compiler
switch for this, but I do not know if dmd calls cl.exe to do the
linking. From the verbose output it looks like dmd calls the
Windows native linker directly.

Thanks for helping
Larry