Does D have any political goals?

ShinyQuagsire mtinc2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 22:47:27 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 05:30:20 UTC, thebluepandabear
wrote:
> (If this message is off-topic/disallowed I apologize dearly,
> and please feel free to remove this post if this is the case.)
>
> Hello guys,
>
> I have been programming for a couple of years in various
> different languages. A couple of weeks ago I decided that I
> would like to learn a new language, so I went ahead and began
> learning Rust.
>
> Immediately I realized how toxic, egostic, and rude the Rust
> community was, and this made me very uncomfortable as when I
> learn new languages I often love to be a part of the community
> and interact with fellow programmers.
>
> After that, I began to learn about all of the social
> justice/political statements that Rust was putting out over the
> last couple of years in regards to topics unrelated to
> programming, this made me feel very uncomfortable -- not
> necessarily because I disagreed with what they were saying (in
> fact I agreed with most statements), but mostly because I felt
> like  politics shouldn't be involved in a programming language.
>
> Eventually I gave up on Rust, I simply couldn't ignore these
> two issues that I had with the community and the core team.
> Rust had the right to make political statements, but I had the
> right not to use a language if that was the case.
>
> For the next couple of days I was trying very hard to find an
> apolitical language to learn instead of Rust, and I stumbled
> across D. D seemed like a good language to learn and I saw that
> the community was EXTREMELY nice, although I am not sure
> whether D is an apolitical language (or whether they have been
> involved politically).
>
> I am just here asking whether or not D will keep politics out
> of programming, et cetera, and look -- if D is political then I
> have absolutely no issue, in fact I respect this decision
> completely. It's just that when politics gets involved in
> programming it puts me off instantly, so that's why I asked.
>
> Answers would be appreciated :D
>
> Regards,
> thebluepandabear

I guess with things cooling off a bit in the thread, my 2 cents
is that maximizing for talent and people actually being around
requires making at least a few political decisions. ie, a lot of
software projects keep hosting conferences in the UAE, despite
not all contributors being able to safely attend with their
partners due to the laws there. But avoiding locations like that
is a necessary 'policial' decision if you want all contributors
to be able to speak at confs.