Discussion: Porting 58000 lines of D and C++ to jai, Part 0: Why and How

Johan j at j.nl
Wed Nov 23 19:42:22 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 23 November 2022 at 17:20:54 UTC, Kyle Ingraham
wrote:
> Hi all. I came across this article on Hacker News:
> https://www.yet-another-blog.com/porting_the_game_to_jai_part0/
>
> I’m interested in reading your thoughts on the ‘Why not D’
> section. Anyone have experiences that match the specific points
> there? I haven’t experienced them but I also don’t debug on
> Windows. I also find D’s documentation to be excellent.

About the compilation speed, I think the author does not yet
realize that you have to think about performance of compile-time
execution, similarly as with runtime execution. The algorithm
used matters a lot, also at compile time. Spending 60sec on that
small of a codebase is not my experience (*), so I think it's
just a piece of compile-time code that is consuming most of the
time (note that his optimized build only takes 2x longer).

-Johan

(*) >10 times larger linecount project with lots of compile-time
stuff and template complexity, 1.8GB main executable binary in
debug mode, about ten 100MB executables, just tested: builds in
300seconds. Just semantic analysis (compile without machine
codegen) takes 130seconds.