Discussion: Porting 58000 lines of D and C++ to jai, Part 0: Why and How

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 07:31:59 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 23 November 2022 at 17:20:54 UTC, Kyle Ingraham
wrote:
> Hi all. I came across this article on Hacker News:
> https://www.yet-another-blog.com/porting_the_game_to_jai_part0/
>
> I’m interested in reading your thoughts on the ‘Why not D’
> section. Anyone have experiences that match the specific points
> there? I haven’t experienced them but I also don’t debug on
> Windows. I also find D’s documentation to be excellent.

That article has an interesting take. It's gripes with D aren't
the usual ones, maybe debugging experience excluded.

D's documentation is good but not top-notch IMO. It's easy to
browse and usually has examples, but still sometimes lacks detail
with regards to corner cases. It's still better than most, so I
find complaining about that surprising. Compare Phobos docs to
[Nix standard API
docs](https://nixos.org/manual/nixpkgs/stable/#preface) for
instance. At least for me it's far easier to find what I want
from Phobos docs, yet even NixPkgs documentation should probably
be considered acceptable - at least it is correct and usually
covers what you need when you look hard enough.

I agree with others here that he must have some problem with the
compile time he could solve without switching the language. D
usually compiles far faster than C++. It may be because of his
memory usage, perhaps that leads to excessive disk swapping.
Should be solvable too.