Discussion: Porting 58000 lines of D and C++ to jai, Part 0: Why and How

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 08:23:22 UTC 2022

On Friday, 25 November 2022 at 07:31:59 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> I agree with others here that he must have some problem with
> the compile time he could solve without switching the language.
> D usually compiles far faster than C++. It may be because of
> his memory usage, perhaps that leads to excessive disk
> swapping. Should be solvable too.

D has a tendency to give you lots of features, invite you to
commit to them, then punish you somewhere way down the line when
you can't back out. For instance, format!`` is very clever, but
it's probably not beneficial for compile speed to have thousands
of recursive instantiations of the formatting code in the
compilation set.