Zig vs D generics

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Oct 11 15:56:11 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 14:49:44 UTC, Tejas wrote:
> On Monday, 10 October 2022 at 18:19:29 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Monday, 10 October 2022 at 16:27:11 UTC, Ola Fosheim
>> Grøstad wrote:
>>>
>>> Didn't work in clang for me… but good to know that it is
>>> supposed to work.
>>
>> As it stands, you shouldn't rely on clang for anything beyond
>> C++17, it is hit and miss with newer revisions until some big
>> shot takes over Apple and Google's role on frontend
>> development.
>
> Why is Apple not willing to develop clang nowadays? Haven't
> seen them express interest in Carbon or anything other than
> Swift

clang is good enough for their purposes, Metal Shading Language
is a C++14 dialect, IO Kit uses a Embedded C++ dialect and C++17
is good enough for DriverKit and is the current baseline for LLVM
contributions.

Swift is explicitly developed as the replacement for C, C++ and
Objective-C on Apple platforms, this goal is even mentioned on
its documentation and they made the point to re-assert it on this
year's WWDC.

The analysis of iOS 16 binaries apparently shows that "Swift
adoption continues its exponential climb and surpassed C++ this
year".

https://blog.timac.org/2022/1005-state-of-swift-and-swiftui-ios16/

Note that while Apple has released a header only library for
using Metal APIs from C++, not only it is a very bare bones
experience when compared with Objective-C and Swift, it actually
depends on the Objective-C runtime, by creating wrapper classes
around objc_msgSend.