Zig vs D generics

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Oct 11 16:14:39 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 15:56:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Swift is explicitly developed as the replacement for C, C++ and
> Objective-C on Apple platforms, this goal is even mentioned on
> its documentation and they made the point to re-assert it on
> this year's WWDC.
>
> The analysis of iOS 16 binaries apparently shows that "Swift
> adoption continues its exponential climb and surpassed C++ this
> year".

C++ is starting to become EOL and languages like Swift will take
over more and more. Swift is cross platform and available on
Linux and Windows.

SwiftUI is currently Apple only but if they decide to make it
open source so that others can adapt it for Linux GUIs and
Windows then it becomes even more interesting, it's basically a
Qt or C# MAUI competitor.

Currently Swift is not bootstrapped and there is a lot of C++ in
the compiler itself. Right now there is a lot of work to make
Swift work together with C++. Similar to D this is step to
gradually rewrite the Swift compiler in Swift. Swift will just as
D have the same C++ FFI advantage.

There is currently very little reason to choose C++ over any
other modern alternative today for a new project. We will clearly
see that as big companies contributions for C++ will wane. Will
there even be enough interest to implement C++23?