Zig vs D generics

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Oct 11 21:07:11 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 16:14:39 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 15:56:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Currently Swift is not bootstrapped and there is a lot of C++
> in the compiler itself. ...

Bootstraping plans are already in motion,

https://forums.swift.org/t/implementing-parts-of-the-swift-compiler-in-swift/59524

> There is currently very little reason to choose C++ over any
> other modern alternative today for a new project. We will
> clearly see that as big companies contributions for C++ will
> wane. Will there even be enough interest to implement C++23?

There are still many domains where for better or worse, C++
rules, and it will for years to come due to ecosystem synergies,
see COBOL, Fortran and C. Many tend to forget C is only 10 years
younger than COBOL.

However when several big names in the ecosystem start playing
with alternatives, we might be at the start of stagnation of the
ISO process, but even then, remember many devs keep coding in C89
by choice, and same reasoning can be applied to C++ revisions.

Since we are on D forums, what matters is what piece of the pie D
can still get hold of, specially in the mist of stiff competition.