Zig vs D generics

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 11:27:26 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 16:14:39 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> C++ is starting to become EOL and languages like Swift will
> take over more and more. Swift is cross platform and available
> on Linux and Windows.

Swift is much higher level, although there has been some talk of
making it more capable for machine-level programming.

Many developers distrust languages like C# and Swift for cross
platform, you can basically always expect the support on "foreign
platforms" to be subpar and if it isn't you have to plan for
platforms being dropped in the future for non-technical reasons.

They may technically be cross platform, but they sure ain't
politically cross platform :-).

> SwiftUI is currently Apple only but if they decide to make it
> open source

This will not happen with the current culture. Apple is a company
that doesn't shy away from patenting and suing over user
interface mechanisms and design.

> There is currently very little reason to choose C++ over any
> other modern alternative today for a new project.

Objectively speaking, there are plenty of reasons to write
performance parts of a new application in C++, if you already
know it, as it provides more options than any other competitor.
And while C has better interop and portability, C++ still has a
wider array of interop and portability options than any other
single alternative.

This will remain true until we see a clear sign that other
languages are cutting into C++ at scale. Right now they are just
nibbling around the edges.

> We will clearly see that as big companies contributions for C++
> will wane. Will there even be enough interest to implement
> C++23?

Clang seems to be on track with C++23. They are behind on some
select features of C++20: https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/20